OHNHR Podcast 21 - Vegan Generations

Another podcast originally publish in July 2012. This one features Barbara DeGrande and my sister, Lynne Yates, an ethical vegan since 1978. [It's way cooler to have gone vegan in 1979 - just so you know]. 

This is the original blurb....


Vegan Generations. I argue that we are still in the pioneer age of veganism but there are generations within it. 

The real pioneers, of course, were people like Donald Watson - but modern-day vegans are pioneers too. In the 1980s most of the campaigners I knew were vegan but veganism wasn't central to our claims about human-nonhuman relations. 

This has changed in recent times (but only since the mid-1990s) and this change is for the better. Is there the danger, however, that people relatively new to animal advocacy, are rather blasé about the importance of veganism? This is the subject I explore in this podcast in conversation with Barbara DeGrande and Lynne Yates. 

[Error. I misspoke early in the podcast, saying that Gary Francione self identified as a vegan in 1996. I meant that Francione was still calling himself a vegetarian in 1996 in some of his writing. This is not to attack Francione - I have credited him with leading the push to establish veganism as the moral baseline - but to indicate how new it is that veganism has been central to animal advocacy].



 

Comments